Navigating the Substitute Shortage
Overcoming the Substitute Shortage
Troubled by substitute shortages and low fill rates? You’re not alone. These are tough issues faced by many districts, and for good reason. Substitute management is no walk in the park: a lot of different elements go into maintaining and managing a healthy substitute pool.
Overcoming the substitute shortage means taking a holistic approach that takes each of those elements into account. And with Frontline’s solutions, you can easily recruit, hire, train and manage your substitutes.
Recruit & Hire More Substitutes
It may seem like you’ve left no stone unturned in your search for new substitutes. But with Frontline Recruiting & Hiring, you can reach more potential substitutes and quickly bring them on board — despite substitute shortages
- Automate each step of the recruiting process and recruit more substitutes by advertising on social media and popular job boards
- Identify the best candidates by designing your own online screening questionnaires, and easily sort and rank applicants based on scores
- Speed up the hiring process to get substitutes working sooner
- Easily transfer new substitute data into other systems, including our absence management solution
Manage & Fill Absences
No more nightmares about unfilled absences and empty classrooms! Frontline Absence & Time saves you time by managing employee absences and finding substitutes, while providing you with actionable insights.
- Gain greater visibility with real-time reporting and easy access to your district’s data
- Improve fill rates by making it easy for subs to search for and accept jobs they're qualified for
- Attach documents such as lesson plans or notes to help substitutes prepare
- Go paperless with online absence forms, sign-in sheets, approval forms and more
- Easily send substitute hours to payroll — no more manually entering data
Substitute hours can be unpredictable, which makes it hard to ensure compliance with federal and state labor laws. Frontline Absence & Time captures substitute time electronically, making it easy to track their time and attendance.
- Save time and eliminate errors with paperless workflows
- Pay substitutes accurately for their actual time worked
- Stay compliant with the FLSA, FMLA, paid sick leave laws, the Affordable Care Act and more
Train & Prepare Substitutes
It’s not enough to have a deep substitute pool if your subs aren’t fully trained, but live training programs take up a lot of time. Frontline Absence & Time includes online training videos, so you can be sure that all of your substitutes are ready to get to work. A two-year review of 4,000 substitute teachers and paraprofessionals by New York City’s Department of Education showed a 99.95% effectiveness rate of our trainings.
- Attract and retain more substitutes by ensuring that they are adequately prepared to manage the classroom
- Provide substitutes with up to on-demand, online trainings they can complete on their own time
- Document and track the training progress of all your employees
- Reduce substitute “incidents” and “do not use” requests
Get the Data You Need
The substitute shortage raises a lot of questions, like:
- “Where can I find a substitute with the right qualifications?”
- “Why aren’t my substitutes taking enough jobs?”
- “How can I attract more substitutes to work here?”
- ”How and why do my fill rates differ between schools?”
It’s time to stop putting out fires. Get answers to these questions and more with our holistic approach to substitute management. We’re here to partner with you during the entire journey.
Get a Demo