Get Started with Frontline EducationRequest a Demo
Track employee absences and secure a qualified substitute for every classroom to support uninterrupted student learning.
Quickly find the most qualified substitutes to positively impact student learning.
When teachers are out, learning can suffer. Use skill settings, preference lists, and exclusion lists to find the substitute who is the most qualified to cover each absence.
Easily manage substitute scheduling.
Manage substitute hours to maintain compliance with labor laws and stay on top of what your district is spending on employee absences. Plus, make it easy for substitutes to accept jobs around the clock.
Improve fill rates and ensure that absences are expertly covered by making it easy for eligible substitutes to find and accept jobs even outside of school hours with the Frontline mobile app.
Engage substitutes and provide them the knowledge they need to be successful.
Attach useful documents like lesson plans to each absence and offer online training to help your substitutes grow as effective educators.
Proactively identify trends and address opportunities to improve employee attendance.
See absence patterns and trends such as high-absence days, so you can avoid scheduling professional development on those days. Access key absence data from Frontline Central, and rest easy knowing you are properly staffed to ensure uninterrupted student learning. Manage absences on the go with the Frontline mobile app, and stay on top of absence trends and daily absence and fill rate details — from wherever you need to be.
“I’ve got hard data… I can absolutely show every school exactly how many days were missed and how much it cost us at every school, every site, each month. That is data that we have never shared with our employees and our schools before.”
Absence & Substitute Management Overview
Absence Management Resources
Frontline Absence & Time Solution Webinar
Get an in-depth look at how Frontline Absence & Time can help you find substitutes, track costs, and know where each employee is in real-time.
How Does Your Absence Data Compare?
It’s important to know your own employee absence and substitute data. But how does it stack up to other districts?
Absence & Time can show you
The Substitute Teacher Shortage
As a nation, we’re short on substitute teachers. And when no substitute can be found, other teachers often have to fill in. So what’s behind the substitute shortage?
See how to beat it
Request a personalized demo of Absence & Substitute Management today.
Frequently Asked Questions
The system is designed to work exactly the way you want it to, so you have flexible options for filling jobs:
- Subs proactively looking for jobs can find and accept them online. You use the tools in the system to set your preferences and requirements for each assignment, and a qualified substitute fills the vacancy.
- Automated calls go to eligible substitutes to help fill absences, an especially valuable tool for last-minute jobs.
- Many districts fill absences by going into the system and assigning a sub of their choosing manually, as well.
The choice is up to you!
Plenty! Here is just a snapshot of how Frontline’s mobile app can help you stay on top of employee absences — wherever you happen to be.
- Easily view and approve (or deny) absences from your phone
- View the Daily Report of filled and unfilled absences
- Get the details on who is absent and why
- See a quick view of three-day trends
- Access daily filled and unfilled absence counts using Siri® (iOS only)
- Compare your district’s performance on select absence and substitute metrics to
national, state, and district size benchmarks
- Get a notification of available jobs right to their mobile device
- Accept available jobs and view job details within the app
- Search and view all available jobs
Frontline’s mobile app is designed to make life easier on everyone. Employees can:
- Check their own leave balances and see upcoming scheduled absences
- Create an absence request
- Receive alerts
- Look up colleagues in an employee directory (if the district also has Frontline Central)
We’re glad you asked! Frontline’s Absence and Substitute Management isn’t just for teachers. Many districts have discovered the benefits of also tracking and managing leave for other district employees: custodians, bus drivers, para-professionals, and even administrators.
None! Absence and Substitute Management is web-based, so an internet connection is all that’s required.
It may seem that an automated system will make it easier for teachers to take unnecessary absences, but in fact, the opposite is often true. A study by the Substitute Teaching Division of STEDI.org showed that when principals have access to teacher absence monitoring technology, absenteeism lowers by nearly 14%.
With Frontline’s Absence Management software, you can use accurate reports to monitor absence trends, have conversations with employees, and encourage attendance. It’s all about using the data that you have!
Absence and Substitute Management offers a sophisticated set of tools to ensure the best substitute is placed each time.
- Set up specific skills and requirements to match a qualified substitute to the absence (for example, requiring a “math” skill for a math teacher absence).
- Create district-, school-, and teacher-level preference lists and exclusion lists to further refine to whom and when the absence is pushed out. For example, you can open the job to a wider pool of substitutes as the start time gets closer.
- Let teachers specify a list of favorites, too, and allow both teachers and substitutes to leave feedback.
Would you be surprised to learn that over 800 smaller schools use Frontline to automate their absence management? Since the subscription is based on the number of employees on the system, it’s more affordable than smaller districts often think. No matter the size of your district, everyone has room to reduce paperwork and increase efficiency, and that’s exactly what Frontline’s Absence Management software helps you do.
Our systems are integrated, which means an employee in Frontline’s time-tracking system is automatically updated in our absence solution. This ensures data is accurate and consistent, and eliminates the time spent re-entering information from one system to the other. And because Frontline Absence & Time integrates with most major payroll vendors, you can reduce payroll errors and save time inputting data. Finally, combined reporting ensures that the appropriate funding codes are used for absences.